Green Bay head coach Linc Darner received a one year contract extension thanks to the Phoenix fourth place finish this year, according to the Green Bay Press Gazette.
According to the newspaper, “part of Darner’s revised contract when [athletic director] Charles Guthrie took over for [Mary Ellen] Gillespie included a year extension for a top-four finish in league play” meaning Darner is now signed through the 2024 season.
He took home a salary of $231,500 last season and is tied with chancellor Gary Miller as the highest paid employee on the UW-Green Bay campus, according to a Press-Gazette database of 2017/2018 salaries. However that is still on the low end of Horizon League head coaches salaries ranking 8th out of the 10 conference coaches based on available information. Wright State’s Scott Nagy is the league’s highest paid coach making more than double than what Darner does at over $500,000 per season.
Darner is 71-63 (.530) in four seasons at Green Bay including 40-32 (.556) in Horizon League games. He came to Green Bay after 13 seasons at the Division II level going 74-45 (.622) at Saint Joseph’s (IN) and 219-72 (.753) at Florida Southern including winning the 2015 national championship.
He initially signed a five year deal in 2015 that ran through the 2020 season but signed a two year extension after leading Green Bay to the NCAA Tournament in 2016. He tacked on an additional year thanks to a clause in his contract allowing a one year extension should either the athletic director or chancellor leave the school since Gillespie left to become the athletics director at Hartford in 2017.
This most recent extension means Darner will be at Green Bay for the foreseeable future as he is now under contract for at least the next five years through the 2023-2024 season.
Horizon League head coaches salaries:
Head Coach / School / Base Salary (Source year)
- Scott Nagy / Wright State / $502,000 [Source] (2017)
- Mike Davis / Detroit Mercy / $425,000 [Source] (2018)
- Steve McClain / UIC / $397,500 [Source] (2017)
- Pat Baldwin / Milwaukee / $358,000 [Source] (2018)
- Dennis Felton / Cleveland State / $325,000 [Source] (2017)
- John Brannen / Northern Kentucky / $300,000 [Source] (2017)
- Greg Kampe / Oakland / $288,000 [Source] (2016)
- Linc Darner / Green Bay / $231,500 [Source] (2018)
- Jarrod Calhoun / Youngstown State / $200,000 [Source] (2017)
- Jason Gardner / IUPUI / $150,000 [Source] (2014)
Categories: News and Notes